Monday, October 12, 2009

Perception is Everything..

I was talking to this girl earlier... And in the middle of the conversation about my upcoming book....She stopped and said..."Are you really rich?".. I after i spoke on that i realized that perception is everything.

Perception is how we see the world around us. It’s the image we have of everything around us. Suppose you are sitting in a crowded train early in the morning on your way to work in the city or in a bus, and you look around you, you observe the commuters or passengers and from their attitudes, style, dress sense, mannerism deduce certain information to form an opinion about them. The opinions you ascertain might be far from the truth and in most cases are, but unless and until you know them personally you cannot know what “is” the truth or what they “really” are like. With the information you learn from the people around you, you unconsciously filter it and approve or disapprove of it, depending on what you consider good or bad.
At times I feel like, or I sense, that I am being judged simply because I fit into previously held preconceptions of some people. People have the tendency to stereotype, and they do this too involuntarily because of previous experiences or because of what the society wants them to believe.

I certainly believe in my abilities as a person and my contribution to this society is vital, therefore, I am saying this without having to sound like someone who suffers from some sort of inferiority complex that, usually Black people are ‘expected’ to behave and act in certain ways, dress in a particular way especially black males like myself.So when a case goes to court and the defendant is black, it is most likely that all evidence will lean heavily towards the defendant and ‘some’ of the Jury members would have formed their verdicts even before the case begins! Why? Because there are staunch in their beliefs and preconceived notions and nothing would change them, hence, the laws of equality and racial discrimination become nothing but fictional.

Perception, too, is something that cannot be so easily changed, for a person to change his/her view of the world must take considerable strain and strength!

But nonetheless. Perception is everything.



No comments:

Post a Comment