Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Storytellers: Kanye West


Did you watch VH1's Storytellers with Kanye West tonight? I did. And I thought it was very well put together. Amazing stage and lighting concept. Stark, sleek and very shiny. The set was conceived by Es Devlin and Martin Philips. Most recently, Devlin designed the show for the Pet Shop Boys at the BRIT Awards, and Philips is mostly known for his work with Daft Punk and his design of the LCD pyramid.


Devlin and Philips most definitely added a very entertaining dimension to Kanye's show. The emcee performed some of his biggest hits, including "Amazing," "Flashing Lights," "Stronger," Hearthless," "Say You Will" and "Robocop." In between songs he told stories about his songs with a little rant here and there.

Some quotes that I caught tonight.

"A lot of the things you learn are wrong, don't be an asshole too long."

"If a rich man would run into a poor man, what would they learn?"

"If a black man that came from Chicago and was taught to stand far away from gay people because you don't want to be accused of being gay. [What would happen if he'd run into a gay man] What's the talk? What would he learn, what would I learn? I learned that people in Chicago were wrong and I been an asshole all along."

"God chose me. He made a path for me (. . .) I am God's vessel."

"My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live."

Somebody really should start a blog with Kanye quotes. Whatever he rants, raves and hollers is sometimes genius, sometimes insane, but always entertaining. (And big kudos for Kanye for bringing up the gay topic, which is still not positively discussed in hip hop.)





No comments:

Post a Comment